About My Blog



Whenever I get stuck doing something - the time comes to venture in the world of internet to find solution. In most cases I do find the solution, solve my problem and go on with my life. Then one day I am faced with the same problem. But now - I can't remember how the hell I solved it the first time. So the cycle begins again. Then I thought, what if I can remember all the those things? So here it is, my Auxiliary Memory. I decided to save all the problems and their solution in this blog so that I can get back to them when I need them. And the plus point is - so can everybody else.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

How to upgrade kernel on Ubuntu

You can find out which kernel version you are running by opening up a terminal and running the following command:
uname -r

To find out which version is the latest go to www.kernel.org.
To install the latest version you need to download the images. For that go to kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline and open up the folder that matches the version number you found in www.kernel.org.
You need to download three files from the list. For 32 bit they are -
linux-headers-***-generic_***_i386.deb
linux-headers-***_***_all.deb
linux-image-***-generic_***_i386.deb

For 64 bit they are -
linux-headers-***-generic_***_amd64.deb
linux-headers-***_***_all.deb
linux-image-***-generic_***_amd64.deb

After downloading the files copy them to a temporary folder with no other deb files and run the following command from terminal -
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

This will install the new kernel. Restart you machine and uname -r to confirm you are running the latest kernel.
To uninstall the old kernel you could just use ubuntu-tweak. Install it with -
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

After installing ubuntu tweak, run it and open janitor. Do a clean and it will uninstall the old kernel for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment